Sunday, September 30, 2007

False Alarm

I almost had a heart attack last Wednesday when I stepped out of a meeting at work to find that I had three messages on my cell phone and two on the office line. Of course it was the one day that I didn't go to a doctor's appointment with Molly, so it figures that something important would happen. I immediately called Molly without checking the messages, and she told me that the doctor had sent her to the hospital for early contractions. She then explained that there were no beds at our hospital (Sibley Memorial) or Georgetown Hospital, so she was being sent to George Washington University Hospital.

When we got to GW Hospital, Molly checked into the Labor and Delivery unit while I ran downstairs to fill out all of the paperwork. The ladies helping me with the paperwork were very nice, they each congratulated me and told me how many kids they had. I just thanked them and refrained from explaining that we were checking in about six weeks too early. When I finally got back up to Molly's room, she was talking with an obstetrician who appeared calm and relaxed. To my relief, he explained that while they would have to monitor Molly's contractions to ensure that she wasn't going into labor, it appeared that Baby Iauco wouldn't be making her debut quite yet.

Molly and I just hung out in the hospital for the rest of the day. I have to admit that once I knew that Molly and Baby Iauco were going to be okay, it was much better than being at work. When they finally told us we could leave, we found out that Molly was just having early contractions (which are apparently not that uncommon). Our doctor just wanted to be safe.

Since the false alarm, Molly and I have been hanging out in Washington, going out to dinner and taking advantage of our last few weeks as a twosome. Today we hung out on M Street and walked around the C&O Canal. I also made it a point to figure out how to install the car seat in case Baby Iauco decides to come a little early for real.


Molly enjoying the nice day in Georgetown.


Molly on the C&O Canal.