When she and my grandfather lived in West Lafayette, they had a basement with dark paneling, deep red madras carpeting, a wooden bar and a pool table. It was a true 1950’s man’s room. We used to pretend that it was a restaurant and take turns serving each other at the table across from the bar. I remember my grandmother giving us a stack of paper plates and a huge set of markers so that we could draw food on the plates. When I ordered spaghetti and meatballs, for instance, my sister would run behind the bar and grab the red marker and draw the food on the paper plate. Grandma might suggest a side of broccoli so that my sister could incorporate more colors on the plate. These are the things I remember about Grandma Jackie, the fun things we would do when we visited her house. So many things. I also remember old movies being on the television in the kitchen. Grandma knew every actor and would give you the back-story on whatever it was that might be playing at the time. “Oh that Jimmy Stewart,” she might say during It’s a Wonderful Life, “He was a big fan of Ronald Reagan.” Even as an adult, walking into their kitchen in Shelby and seeing old movies on the television made me feel good, like I was somewhere comfortable and secure. I got the same feeling when I walked into her hospital room last week and she was watching I Love Lucy.
Mary Grace was able to visit her great-grandmother a number of times over the past two years. When I told her that Grandma Jackie was very sick, she got a serious look on her face and asked me if that meant Great-Grandma was going to have to get a shot. When I told Grandma Jackie, she got a kick out of it. She told me to tell Mary Grace not to worry about anyone getting any shots; she was doing just fine. I told this to Mary Grace when I got home and it made her smile.
Johanna and I brought some flowers to Grandma’s hospital room and she kindly asked us to place them on her coffee table at home so that Grandpa could enjoy them. This is how I will always remember Grandma Jackie: a completely selfless person who always put others before herself, especially her family. The impact of her character has influenced not only her immediate family, but also that of her extended family. I know that my cousins and I have benefited greatly from having parents that were a product of her home. She has graced her family with a legacy of Kindness and Love that we are responsible for perpetuating. I know that we have all happily and proudly accepted that responsibility in her name. I will think about Grandma Jackie when I make parenting (and grand-parenting) decisions over the course of my life, and I will strive to live up to her standard.
We love you Grandma Jackie. We miss you Grandma Jackie.