Molly was such a trooper during the delivery, she never complained or shouted curse words in my direction.
The entire experience was unbelievable; I cannot attempt to put into words how wonderful the whole thing truly was. You would never believe that you could instantly love something so much, it is almost scary. She is such a happy and good-natured little bugger with the most beautiful eyes and lips. She already has me wrapped around her finger; I am going to spoil her rotten.
Here is a play-by-play of how the big day unfolded…
- 7:30am – Molly elbows me in bed to tell me that she thinks her water has broken.
- 7:31am – I jump out of bed and start running in circles not knowing what to do.
- 7:45am – We speed to the hospital with our pre-packed bags.
- 8:00am – We arrive at the hospital and I realize that I packed nothing for myself.
- 8:15am – We get checked into the delivery room and prepare for the baby to pop out.
- 9:00am – We wait.
- 9:15am – We call our families to tell them we are in the hospital.
- 10:30am – I tell Molly that I have to go to the bathroom and sneak downstairs to get some food without letting her know (she is not allowed to eat or drink).
- 11:00am – We wait some more.
- 1:00pm – We watch the Redskins lose.
- 2:00pm – I tell Molly that I have to go to the bathroom again and sneak downstairs to get some food without letting her know.
- 4:00pm – We wait some more.
- 4:30pm – Molly is in pain, but decides to hold off on getting an epidural until the pain gets worse.
- 5:00pm – We call our families to see when they will be arriving in Washington DC.
- 5:15pm – Molly decides it is time for the epidural, but discovers that 5 other women have requested epidurals and that she will have to wait.
- 5:20pm – Pain gets worse and Molly isn’t talking much.
- 5:21pm – I am scared of Molly.
- 5:30pm – I eat snacks out of the nurses' refrigerator.
- 6:00pm – We wait some more.
- 6:30pm – Finally the anesthesiologist comes and gives Molly her epidural.
- 6:31pm – I am no longer scared of Molly.
- 9:00pm – We watch Family Guy.
- 11:00pm – Finally it is time for Molly to begin pushing.
- 11:10pm – Molly begins pushing and I can see Mary Grace’s head.
- 11:45pm – I am amazed at Molly’s toughness. I am also glad that I am a man.
- 12:28am – God gives us Mary Grace!
Molly and I are being totally open about her hand, so please do not feel awkward talking with us. The more people with whom we have spoken about it, the more encouraging information we have received. In the end, we know she is going to be just fine. If I were a betting man, I would say she will end up better off because of her situation. She has her mother’s temper, so she isn’t going to put up with anyone’s crap. That alone will serve her well, not to mention the bucket loads of other things she has going for her.
I will close by saying that fatherhood is the most astonishing thing that I have ever experienced. I never thought I could love something so much. It is indescribable.
Molly and I want to thank all of you for the emails, cards, flowers, gifts and kind words that we have received over the past week. It is wonderful to know that we have so many caring and generous friends and family members. We are truly blessed, and we thank God every day.
Mary Grace is excited about meeting each and every one of you.

So Happy!

Hey there, I am your dad.

The Iauco family.

Proud papa.

Getting the hang of being alive.

Meeting Geegee and Poppie Stokes.

Meeting Grandma and Grandpa Iauco.

Look at that nose!

Mother and daughter.

Who did all the hard work?

She already likes getting roses.

Smiling for the family portrait.

Hey there, I am your mommy.

Seven pounds and nine ounces.

So peaceful.

My two ladies.

Best mother in the world.

Sound asleep.

Cheeks!

I cannot put her down.

Last night in the hospital.

Time to go home!

First time in a car seat.

Her first car ride.

Home safely.

She loves her car seat.

So small.

All dressed up for company.

James and Owen come for a visit.

Mary Grace loves her Aunt Johanna.

Molly is a natural!